Obligation to file Real Estate Tax Return
27 February 2020
The Curaçao Real Estate Tax Ordinance 2014 (hereafter: “RET”) has been amended as of September 1, 2019. To summarize the recent changes, please note that this new amended legislation prescribes that if a taxpayer has not been issued an RET assessment in the preceding 5 years (2014 -2018) for real estate owned, or the limited right to make use of the real estate, the concerned taxpayer should file a tax return before March 1, 2020.
The aforementioned tax return can be submitted by means of a letter addressed to the Tax Inspector, addressed to the Property Tax Department, stating at least the following:
- name of the taxpayer;
- address of the taxpayer;
- crib-number of the taxpayer;
- the date of acquisition of the real estate;
- the address of the immovable property;
- the date of commencement of the enjoyment of the immovable property;
- the nature of enjoyment of the real estate, thus by virtue of ownership, possession or a limited right; and
- an indication of the value of the immovable property.
The return (read: letter) can be delivered to the Tax Authorities at the World Trade Center Curaçao, situated at Piscaderaweg or can be sent by e-mail to [email protected]
Should you have any questions regarding this amendment of the law, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] or by phone at +5999 4621200.